Sunday, May 16, 2010

Peonies

Peonies in the garden

For the past several years I have admired and grew a peony in my garden. A friend gave me a start from her garden. I didn't need to hope for success because I knew it would grow and bloom in my garden.

Today I walked out to the garden and looked upon the peony bush. In just a few short days the bush will be in full bloom. I cut a few and brought in the kitchen to my vase. These flowers have a great fragrance as well.

The bloom time for this flower only last about three weeks. Alot of people put these flowers on the graves during the Memorial weekend in honor of loved ones passed.

The colors of these flowers are precious. The colors that they arrive in are pink, fucsia, white and a deep burgundy splash of color. They are one of my favorite flowers to look at.

Care

The care of these flowers are quite easy. If you get a start from a friend or buy a container at the nursery you will have good luck.

These flowers like dry type of soil. They do not like to have their feet too wet. Drainage is maybe the key to success for this particular plant.


Cut flower

The peony makes a vivid cut flower for any vase you desire. Make certain you have ample amounts of clean water. Enjoy!

Happy gardening,
Marsha

No comments: