Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Herb Garden

Growing herbs
in the Garden


Centuries ago people gew herbs near their kitchen door to suffice their culinary needs. It was a must for some folks. It was a way to survive through harsh winters, so can vegetables and dry the herbs for the culinary aspect.


Some of the herbs that I have become familiar with are chives, borage, tansy and yarrow. All of these herbs grow in my garden except for the tansy. In the Taylorsville Community Garden club I grew the tansy. At a later date I made a wreath out of the tansy. It become all dried out so I gave it to the land field.

Chives - I grew chives for a long time now. It seems to thrive. I am happy with its growth. I purchased the chives at a local nursery many years ago. I suppose twenty years ago.

Yarrow - Many years ago my belated husband took me to Park City garden nursery. There in the mist of many flowers, my eyes caught the liking of the plant called Yarrow. The herb use to be used for toothaches. It might be a myth. But it sounds enlightening. My Yarrow is wild and invasive. I still think it is pretty in the garden. It fills in alot. The plant wants to take over in its own way. It is a true plant that is reliable as well. My yarrow returns every year like clock work.

Borage - Borage. The name says it all. I love my borage plant. The plant stays to itself. It gets about 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall. Then it produces spiral purple flowers. I rather like them. It has a great fragrance as well. So, buy you one. They are fun to grow. Can be a little over growing. But that is alright too.


Enjoy your herbs,

Marsha

No comments: